Carrot and vegetable soup with ginger
- 1 onion, diced
- generous knob of ginger, finely sliced
- 4 medium carrots, skin on, diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 400g pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 1L vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon each cumin, turmeric and curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put a generous lug of olive oil into a saucepan and add onion. Sauté until softened.
- Combine carrot, sweet potato, pumpkin, ginger, spices and stock with the onion. Bring the mix to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer it all until the vegetables are soft (about 15 minutes).
- Blend to your desired consistency.
- Return to the heat and check for seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve with chopped coriander, parsley or shallots.
- I was shelling some for Jimmy, so I also added some edamame beans to my bowl before serving. They sunk to the bottom so you can't see them in any photos, but I liked them in the soup, and they added some texture.
- The seasoning is very versatile. Add more or less, or change it up to suit your tastes. I think it would be good adding some chilli in as well, but my children aren't good with too much spice yet.
- It was particularly good with some fresh bread on the side to help wipe the bowl clean at the end.
- I'm a big believer in not having food go to waste, so the next night, I added the soup leftovers to a creamy sauce I was making for a macaroni pasta bake. Excuse the terrible lighting, but it turned out beautifully.